Dear Room 19 Families,
I hope you had a wonderful Spring Break! Our Catalina adventure starts bright and early tomorrow morning! Students must arrive at school at 7:15 a.m. tomorrow. We will meet in front of the school (near the buses), and the buses will depart at 7:30 a.m. If your child requires Dramamine, please give it to them right before they get on the bus. Please remember to send your child with a plastic bag that is handy (not packed) so that they can use it on the bus/boat if they get sick. We will return to Pacific on Friday afternoon around 2:30-3:00.
As a reminder, PLEASE let me know if your child is not a strong swimmer. He/she will not be highlighted as such, but we request to know this information upfront for everyone’s safety.
If you have not done so already, please review the packing list/specifics on Mrs. Hubbard’s site: http://mrshubbardroom25.weebly.com/catalina.html .
I’ve highlighted some things of importance:
1. Please check the weather for temperature estimates to help pack accordingly. Catalina can be warm during the day in April, but the nights can be very cool. We often have outdoor evening activities, so students should bring warm layers. If there is chance of rain, pack the rain poncho.
2. Students need a small notebook to take notes and pens and pencils to write with. These are not provided by the teachers. They carry these notebooks around with them throughout the day, so they can be small for ease of carrying.
3. Students carry their own gear (notebooks, water bottle, pens, sweatshirts, etc.) on hikes and during science classes, so a small day-pack is needed.
4. Hats and sunscreen and lip balm are important. Most students haven't gotten their summer tans yet, so sunburns can happen easily by the water.
5. Every student needs his/her own refillable water bottle. Labels/marked with Sharpie will help!
6. Don't forget the sack lunch for the first day. We will eat when we arrive at Catalina (after the motion sickness has subsided!)
7. Students might swim, snorkel, and/or kayak on the morning of the day we return. They will have wet clothes. Don't forget to pack some additional plastic bags/trash bags to hold wet clothes and towels.
8. We are requesting that EVERY child bring (2) small plastic bags with them on the trip. For those who need it, it can be used for seasickness. For those who don’t need it, they will be used to collect trash. Either way, all learners are asked to bring 2 easily accessible plastic bags for the trip over and the trip back. Since there are a few plastic bags we’re requesting, you may want to tell them what they’re for.
We are looking forward to a great Catalina trip!
As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.